Seattle-Denver Center of Innovation (COIN)
COIN Investigators & Staff
Charles C. Engel, MD, MPH
- Title: MD Fellowship Co-Director, Seattle
Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington
- Contact: Charles.Engel@va.gov
- Location: Seattle
- See Dr. Engel's Dimensions profile that includes: publications, grants, datasets, patents and clinical trials
- Charles Engel, MD, MPH is Core VA HSR&D Investigator in the Seattle Center for Innovation, Codirector of the Center's Advanced Research Fellowship on Learning Health Systems, Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington School of Medicine, and Adjunct Physician Policy Researcher at the RAND Corporation. A retired Army Colonel and combat veteran, Engel's work has focused on trauma-informed health systems and strategies for improving the quality of primary care for chronic mental and physical health conditions following war and other occupationally related exposures. Health conditions of research interest have included polytraumatic injuries and occupational trauma syndromes ranging from blast injury, mild traumatic brain injury, chronic pain and fatigue, Gulf War syndrome, military sexual trauma, PTSD and depression.
- Engel is an experienced, mixed qualitative and quantitative research methodologist, having led a number of large pragmatic randomized trials, program evaluations, and implementation science studies. He has authored or coauthored nearly 200 scholarly papers, including in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, and the American Journal of Psychiatry. Funding for his work has come from the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control, Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense and other organizations. Before joining UW Psychiatry and the AIMS Center in 2021, Dr. Engel was Senior Physician Policy Researcher at the RAND Corporation from 2013 to 2020 and Associate Chair (Research) at Uniformed Services University's Department of Psychiatry from 2001-2013. Engel has served on the board of directors of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, has testified twice before Congress, received a number of awards, and delivered invited lectures in over 10 countries. He received both his MD and MPH from the University of Washington School of Medicine.
The following images visualize Dr. Engel's work. The word cloud is drawn from publication titles. The research collaboration map shows research relationships (click the image to enlarge):
|Clinical Research||Mental Health|
|Mental Health||Health Services|
|Behavioral and Social Science||Anxiety Disorders|
|Brain Disorders||Behavioral and Social Science|
|Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)||Brain Disorders|
|Health Services||Clinical Research|
|Anxiety Disorders||Clinical Trials and Supportive Activities|
|Depression||Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)|
|Clinical Trials and Supportive Activities||Depression|
|Prevention||Mind and Body|
Tomoaia-Cotisel A, Eberhart NK, Engel CC, Mendel P, Alvarado G, Qureshi N, Allen SD. A Process Evaluation of Primary Care Behavioral Health Integration in the Military Health System. Rand Health Q. 2022 Jun 30;9(3):15. PMCID: PMC9242578. PMID: 35837508.
Meyer EG, DeSilva RB, Hann MC, Aggarwal NK, Brim WL, Engel CC, Lu FG, Lewis-Fernández R. Adapting the Cultural Formulation Interview for the Military. Psychiatr Serv. 2022 Feb 23:appips202100523. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.202100523. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35193377.
Learn more about this publication on Dimensions
Reed DE 2nd, Bokhour BG, Gaj L, Barker AM, Douglas JH, DeFaccio R, Williams RM, Engel CC, Zeliadt SB. Whole Health Use and Interest Across Veterans With Co-Occurring Chronic Pain and PTSD: An Examination of the 18 VA Medical Center Flagship Sites. Glob Adv Health Med. 2022 Feb 11;11:21649561211065374. doi: 10.1177/21649561211065374. PMCID: PMC8841911. PMID: 35174004. Learn more about this publication on Dimensions
Littman AJ, Bratman GN, Lehavot K, Engel CC, Fortney JC, Peterson A, Jones A, Klassen C, Brandon J, Frumkin H. Nature versus urban hiking for Veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder: a pilot randomised trial conducted in the Pacific Northwest USA. BMJ Open. 2021 Sep 23;11(9):e051885. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-051885. PMID: 34556516
Dunbar MS, Schuler MS, Meadows SO, Engel CC. Associations Between Mental and Physical Health Conditions and Occupational Impairments in the U.S. Military. Mil Med. 2021 Feb 3:usab021. doi: 10.1093/milmed/usab021. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33533897
Malâtre-Lansac A, Engel CC, Xenakis L, Carlasare L, Blake K, Vargo C, Botts C, Chen PG, Friedberg MW. Factors Influencing Physician Practices' Adoption of Behavioral Health Integration in the United States: A Qualitative Study. Ann Intern Med. 2020 Jul 21;173(2):92-99. doi: 10.7326/M20-0132. Epub 2020 Jun 2. PMID: 32479169
Novak LA, Belsher BE, Freed MC, McCutchan PK, Liu X, Evatt DP, Tanielian T, Bray RM, Engel CC. Impact of financial reimbursement on retention rates in military clinical trial research: A natural experiment within a multi-site randomized effectiveness trial with active duty service members. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2019 Apr 13;15:100353. doi: 10.1016/j.conctc.2019.100353. PMCID: PMC6477623. PMID: 31032460