Seattle-Denver Center of Innovation (COIN)
COIN Investigators & Staff
Michaela McCarthy, PhD
- Title: Project Coordinator
- Contact: Michaela.McCarthy@va.gov
- Location: Denver
- See Dr. McCarthy's Dimensions profile that includes: publications, grants, datasets, patents and clinical trials
- Dr. Michaela McCarthy completed her PhD in Nursing from the University of Colorado in 2016. Her dissertation research focused on the use of a telemedicine intervention to treat insomnia in rural breast cancer survivors. In addition to working with breast cancer survivors, Dr. McCarthy expanded her research to aid Veterans with PTSD and sleep disturbances in conjunction with the Denver MIRECC.
- Dr. McCarthy is currently working as a Health Service Research & Development post-doctoral fellow at the Denver/Seattle Center of Innovation for Veteran-Centered and Value Driven Care, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System. Her post-doctoral research is designed to explore the link between poor sleep and suicide in Veterans with PTSD, and to better understand the bidirectional relationship between hypervigilance symptoms and sleep disturbances. Results from her post-doctoral work will inform future studies designed to improve sleep and decrease suicide risk in Veterans with PTSD.
The following research fields have been used to summarize Dr. McCarthy's publication (the number in parenthesis is the times that research field has appeared). The categories are based on 5 publications with 160 citations of his work, 60% of her publications have at least 1 citation:
- Clinical Research (3)
- Mind and Body (3)
- Sleep Research (3)
- Behavioral and Social Science (2)
- Breast Cancer (2)
- Mental Health (2)
- Neurosciences (2)
- Health Services (2)
- Rehabilitation (2)
- Basic Behavioral and Social Science (2)
- Cancer (2)
Nunnery MA, Gilmartin H, McCarthy M, Motta LU, Wills A, Kelley L, Jones CD, Leonard C. Sustainment stories: a qualitative analysis of barriers to sustainment of the National Rural Transitions of Care Nurse Program. BMC Health Serv Res. 2022 Jan 28;22(1):119. doi: 10.1186/s12913-021-07420-1.
McCarthy MS, Ujano-De Motta LL, Nunnery MA, Gilmartin H, Kelley L, Wills A, Leonard C, Jones CD, Rabin BA. Understanding adaptations in the Veteran Health Administration's Transitions Nurse Program: refining methodology and pragmatic implications for scale-up. Implement Sci. 2021 Jul 13;16(1):71. doi: 10.1186/s13012-021-01126-y. PMCID: PMC8276503.
McCarthy M, Mak S, Kaufmann CN, Lum HD, Fung CH. Care coordination needs for deprescribing benzodiazepines and benzodiazepine receptor agonists. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2021 Jul 1:S1551-7411(21)00244-8. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2021.06.025. Epub ahead of print.
McCarthy MS, Stonecipher JJ, Gilmartin H, El-Hajj D, Battaglia C. An interdisciplinary postdoctoral fellowship model: Opportunities for nurse PhDs. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2020;10(2):10.5430/jnep.v10n2p33. doi: 10.5430/jnep.v10n2p33. PMCID: PMC7590921.
McCarthy MS, Hoffmire C, Brenner LA, Nazem S. Sleep and timing of death by suicide among U.S. Veterans 2006-2015: analysis of the American Time Use Survey and the National Violent Death Reporting System. Sleep. 2019 Aug 1;42(8):zsz094. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz094. PMID: .
McCarthy MS, Matthews EE, Battaglia C, Meek PM. Feasibility of a Telemedicine-Delivered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia in Rural Breast Cancer Survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2018 Sep 1;45(5):607-618. doi: 10.1188/18.ONF.607-618.